Thursday, September 6, 2007

It's about to get a little harder

As if WW isn't hard enough...I'm now throwing the South Beach Diet into the mix. Since we now know that the source of my infertility is PCOS I would benefit greatly from the South Beach Diet. PCOS is a hormonal imbalance linked to the way the body processes insulin after it has been produced by the pancreas to regulate blood sugar. The increased insulin in my system causes numerous problems including being overweight, inability to loose weight effectively & infertility. If I decrease my carbohydrate and sugar intake I have a better chance of reversing the symptoms associated with PCOS, thus successfully loosing weight and conceiving.
Many of you have asked Brian and I over the past 13 months what you can do for us to help us...well, you are all doing it now by supporting me. I promise to help you all stay motivated and I'm asking that all of you help keep me motivated and hold me accountable.
So from now until September 17th I am decreasing my carb and sugar intake. Starting on September 17th I will be doing phase one of the South Beach Diet for two weeks - during that two weeks I have to cut out ALL carbs and sugars - YIKES!!! After the two weeks on Phase one I will start adding "good" carbs back into my diet on Phase two - this lasts until I reach my weight loss goal...basically a very long time!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just as long as we don't do our nightly DQ run, we'll be OK---hey we'll also save $$$$ --therefore-- more shopping $$$$.

Anonymous said...

Now that's a smart girl!

Megan said...

you go girl!!!!!

Jen said...

I also have PCOS. I did WW to lose to get preg and it obviously worked! When I got pregnant with Wyatt that was my heaviest pre-pregnancy weight. Lots of lean protein and veggies. Go easy on fruit and grains that are not 100% whole grain and have at least 3g of fiber. Hidden sugar is everywhere! Totally watch fat-free treats and processed foods. I think I lived on egg white omelets, microwave popcorn and WW Zero point veggie soup! Good luck and read those labels!!

Anonymous said...

Oh yah - I'm well aware of all of that...unfortunately the hard part is putting it into play! The no carbs for 2 weeks is really going to be hard...but worth it! After the initial two weeks it will get a bit easier and something that we should all be doing anyway...I just have a little more of an incentive.

Anonymous said...

Good luck, and if you get crabby, give me a buzz. I'm right there with you!

Jen said...

I know I was stating the obvious. Just always helped to be reminded! Do they have you on metaformin?

Anonymous said...

Hey Shawnie...if you want help making spaghetti sauce...all natural stuff...I'd love to do it with you. There's 1/4 c. sugar in 4 entire meals (not servings)..good for you & the fam!